On June 8, 2018, New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) submitted a request under the Freedom of Information Act to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), requesting that the BIA make all of its unpublished decisions since 1996 publicly available in an electronic format under 5 U.S.C. § 552(a)(2) as the BIA’s decisions, whether published or unpublished, are “final opinions” and “orders” of the agency. EOIR denied NYLAG’s request, and NYLAG submitted an administrative appeal. On October 17, 2018, after EOIR and the BIA failed to respond by the statutory deadline, NYLAG filed suit in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, represented by attorneys at Public Citizen Litigation Group and NYLAG. NYLAG contends that the BIA’s failure to make its unpublished decisions publicly available in an electronic format violates FOIA or, in the alternative, the Administrative Procedure Act. Here’s the text of the complaint.
- 432 Against, 202 For: May’s Brexit Deal Soundly Defeated by Record Margin
- Judge Orders Trump Administration to Remove 2020 Census Citizenship Question; Read the Opinion
- Federal Data Streams’ Status During Government Shutdown
- Read William Barr’s Controversial June 8 Memo to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein
- Read Attorney General Nominee William Barr’s Prepared Testimony
- Read House Resolution to Censure Congressman Steve King of Iowa
- CRS Report: Can the Department of Defense Build the Border Wall?
- Air Traffic Controllers Union Sues Trump; Read the Complaint
- CRS Report: Federal Grand Jury Secrecy: Legal Principles and Implications for Congressional Oversight
- Protecting Net Neutrality at the State Level: State-by-State Survey of Laws, Executive Orders and Bills Introduced But Not Passed
Just in case you don't get it: The views expressed are solely those of the blog post author and should not be attributed to anyone else, meaning they do not necessarily represent the views of any organization that the post author is affiliated with or with the views of any other author who publishes on this blog.
- 191,519 hits